Home > Sherrod Brown’s Sham Townhall

Sherrod Brown’s Sham Townhall

August 13, 2009 at 9:45 am Matt Leave a comment Go to comments

I was there, only after seeing emails from the Ohio Democrat Party, Progress Ohio, and Obama’s neverending web campaign, but the room was small and his staff recognized me so I was not allowed in. The best report I’ve seen of it is from Shelby Holliday of UWIRE. I know Ms. Holliday, and every report she does on Ohio puts the state’s dinosaur media to shame:

Although thankfully, lots of reasonable people got to ask their questions and express their reservations about the proposed government takeover of 15% of the private economy. Here is the video I took of Senator Sherrod Brown LYING about President Obama’s support of single payer health care:

The way to make single payer happen is to have a public insurance competitor on steroids (an unfair advantage), which will slowly kill off private insurance. Sherrod Brown was the champion of single-payer health care as a Congressman (He doesn’t accept the Congressional health care insurance, which gives him more opportunities to talk about the issue as if he is “one of us.”) and he knows this sort of transitional stage is necessary to make socialized health care a a reality.

Exit Question: Why does Sherrod Brown talk like he is gargling with salt water? Perhaps he should go to Cuba and have a doctor check that out.

Related posts:

1. Sherrod Brown & Death Panels
  2. Brooks Brothers Brigade Alert! Sherrod Brown in Columbus on Wednesday!
  3. Sherrod Brown Is A Cowardly Jerk With a Terrible Hair Cut
  4. Sherrod Brown: “The Stimilus Package Was Not a Failure”
  5. Senator Sherrod Brown Named in ACORN Corruption Congressional Report

This website uses IntenseDebate comments, but they are not currently loaded because either your browser doesn't support JavaScript, or they didn't load fast enough.

1. Dee
    August 14th, 2009 at 03:21 | #1

On Tuesday, August 11, I called Ohio Senator Sherrod Brown's COLUMBUS, OHIO office (614-469-2083 at 2:31 pm). I simply and politely asked “Is the senator planning on holding any town hall meetings during the recess?”

I was told by a staff member that the senator was going to have a town hall event "sometime this month" in Columbus. He suggested that I keep checking his senate site to see when one is scheduled.

A couple of hours later, a friend of mine from the Dayton Tea Party posted on Facebook that Senator Brown was going to be at The Ohio State University on Wednesday morning. I tried to call back at 5:26 pm, but the office had closed, and the voicemail was full. I figured that either his Columbus staff was uninformed, Brown arranged this event in 2.5 hours, or the staffer LIED to me.

I posted the event on my Facebook page, and an Obama supporter friend of mine confirmed it. He told me (at 5:48 pm) that he had gotten an email about it “an hour or two ago.” I asked if it was from Brown’s office, and he informed me that it was from “some Obama organizer list.” I asked if he would be willing to forward the email to me and he did. I am willing to let your staff see it as long as my friend is not mentioned (I appreciated that he sent it). The email suggested that people show up at 9:00 am (The event was supposed to start at 10:15 am) and there was a link to RSVP. I found that the heads-up email to Obama supports was sent Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:57:20 -0400.

I continue to “google” Brown’s senate site, brown.senate.gov, and have yet to find ANYTHING about the event.

I called Brown’s Columbus office again at 9:05 am Wednesday morning, the morning of the apparent event, while on my way into work from Dayton to Columbus. I asked a staff member the same question as the day before: “Is the senator planning on holding any town hall meetings during the recess?” The woman who answered my call said, “No.” This answer was different than the one I had gotten the day before from the same office. I then followed up with “Then what is going on at OSU Biomedical Center today?” She then said that it was a “roundtable.” I asked what that meant. She responded that it was an event where he sits at a table with a small invited group and discusses issues. I thanked her and hung up. Later, I heard on 610-WTVN that a town hall WAS occurring. Angered, I decided to leave work to find out the truth myself.

When I arrived, I saw protestors from both sides of the issue. However, the supporters of the reform legislation being proposed had nice color signs saying “Health Insurance Reform Now/www.HealthCareForAmericaNow.org,” “Organizing for America,” and other mass-produced signs. Of the ones with whom I spoke, many were union members, one had an AFL-CIO t-shirt with a health care message on it, another was a teacher, another was a state employee, and two others were from EqualityOhio, a few were from Planned Parenthood. Oh, and Greenpeace folks were there with identical signs about stopping global warming and a Greenpeace banner.

The people, like me, who were protesting further government intervention into our lives, were not bussed, had crappy signs (I grabbed a cardboard box from my back seat, and wrote 5 true reform alternatives with a fat Sharpie).

My sign stated the following:
    • Allow me to shop across state lines for my insurance.
    • Allow higher HSA limits.
    • Give me the same tax treatment as my employer.
    • Get rid of state mandates on what plans MUST cover.
    • Encourage (not mandate) employers to fund HSAs instead of choosing MY insurance plan choices for me. Empower ME to shop for what works best for ME.

I sought out information from my elected senator and was not informed of an opportunity to speak out about their plans from MY health care.

I also spoke with someone who did manage to get into the event. He showed me pictures showing that certain seats were reserved. He also told me that a man was handing out stickers to show support for the plan. When he and his friends refused, they were asked to get up from their seats and sit near the back of the room. They refused to move. I have his contact information if you would like his first-hand account.

I am so angry.

• Matt N.
      August 14th, 2009 at 04:40 | #2

I saw your picture here: http://www.ohio-share.coxnewsweb.com/multimedia/d... Nice work!

They handled this job exactly how I would have arranged a meeting for a Republican in a similar situation: Keep the room small and control the environment. But the point is to explain that's what happened, instead of allowing Sherrod to get away saying that "Oh I'm extremely accessible blah blah blah."

HSAs are the best- And this plan would make it illegal for people to have only HSAs + catastrophic insurance.

2. Matt N.
    August 14th, 2009 at 04:40 | #3

3. Matt N.
    August 14th, 2009 at 04:40 | #4

4. Matt N.
    August 14th, 2009 at 04:40 | #5

5. sandy in Akron
    August 16th, 2009 at 19:22 | #6

I have been repeatedly e-mailing Sherrod Brown's office and asking, just the week before, about any town halls. His e-mail response said he is always traveling our state and it is publicized in the newspapers when he is meeting. Like people from anywhere but Colunbus can get there in time for a 10AM "roundtable" ! It is obvious that he is an Obama lap-dog, and does not want input from any others than those liberals & unions that got him elected, such as ACORN. He was mentioned as an ACORN-supported politician in the Wall Street Journal last month. Now we see the true Sherrod: VOTE BROWN OUT!

1. No trackbacks yet.